Tuesday 8 July 2014

Radisson Blu BA London City arrivals facility



Because there's no posh lounge at the airport, BA use the Radisson Blu close to the airport.  It may be close but the BA transfer by taxi took 30-40 mins as the driver had never done the trip before; I wasn't too worried at the scenic tour of some untouched parts of the East End and a journey down each bore of the Blackwall Tunnel, but my taxi companion just wanted a shower before going to the office.  Poor driver seemed a bit upset but I have to admit I didn't know where the hotel was, I know the area reasonably well and it was poorly signed.  Plus the satnav to the postcode sent by the company took him the other side of the river near the O2.


It's in here, behind the Ibis

...and a clearer view from Blackwall DLR station

We were shown to the East SIde Spa and a private treatment room and shower that I was told I could stay in all day, which would have been nice - apart from the risk of sleeping until tomorrow - but as ATC colleague from City was going to meet me after his shift, I wouldn't be staying long.   As Mrs Metty likes a spa, I took a price list as if the JFK-LCY flights come up as reward flights, this would be a nice end to the journey.  And there's a discount for BA pax, although I forgot to ask what that is.




I chatted to the concierge about my trip; whilst trying to comprehend why I was flying later from City to Amsterdam to then fly to Heathrow, he was interested and helpful, employee of the month, a credit to Radisson!  After showering, breakfast is available but as I'd already had 2 US Airways breakfasts and 2 BA breakfasts, I declined in favour of a coffee and hung out in the bar until my friend arrived.  


The spa's relaxation room overlooking the Thames and the O2 across the river

Later I made my way back on the DLR to London City.  Although the Daily Mail readers are probably in a frenzy and camping out at the airport the day before their flight due to the reported travel chaos caused by enhanced screening, I have noticed little that's different to normal (apart from having my possessions examined at JFK of course!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment